Know All About The Best Quality TMT Bar Manufacturing Process
It is a fact universally known that TMT bars are essential for all types of building constructions. But why is it so? What makes them so flexible and ductile to be considered as one of the integral parts of every construction?
To know the mystery behind it, we need to understand how the best quality TMT bars in India are manufactured.
TMT stands for Thermo Mechanically Treated bars. Its hardened outer surface and softer core make it ideal for all construction projects. Steel is widely used as one of the main TMT materials both in the real estate construction and automobile industry as it possesses high tensile strength.
To manufacture the best quality TMT bars in India, a TMT manufacturer must ensure that the bars provide high standards of integrity, safety, and durability. In the process of manufacturing TMT, the steel has to go through various stages to achieve the desired hardness and corrosion resistance properties.
With the help of Thermo-Mechanical Treatment, let us see how best quality TMT bars are manufactured at integrated steel plants of India.
The five steps to manufacture the best quality TMT bars :
In India, a standard process is maintained to manufacture TMT bars which involve five steps to be exact.
- Extraction and conversion of steel: This stage is exclusively for extracting iron from the iron ore in the presence of raw materials in their molten states such as limestone or dolomite. Before converting the ore into iron, it is supposed to be pre-heated. To achieve more refined characteristics, ladle heating is done further. As a result, molten steel is produced and poured into the casting machine for manufacturing billets.
- Manufacturing reinforced bars: In this stage, steel billets are heated in high temperatures, nearly about 1200-1250 degrees Celsius. Then it is rolled to achieve the required shape and size with the help of a rolling mill stand.
- Quenching: The hot reinforced bar comes out in a quenched manner from the rolling mill stand. This stage is for heat treatment where hot rebar’s are rapidly cooled by jet sprays of water to obtain certain material characteristics. This step is crucial as it determines the hardness of the outer cover and the softness of the core. In short, Quenching decides the flexibility of the best quality TMT bars.
- Self-tempering: Now as the bar has come out from the quenching box, the core of the bars remains hotter than the surface which allows a heat flow from the core.
- Atmospheric cooling: This stage helps in equalize the temperature between the soft inner core and the hardened outer cover. Once the bars are completely cooled down, the core gets transformed into a ductile ferrite-pearlite state. To avoid getting twisted, this hardening process helps to develop its strength.
The manufacturing process of the best quality TMT bars in India depends on a variety of factors like the quality of raw materials, properly automated and installed rolling mill stand, and well-monitored quenching and tempering technology. Bringing such parameters together, the best quality TMT bars are manufactured at integrated steel plants. Such plants allow the manufacturing process to be done under one roof keeping the integrity of the process intact. Value is added to the manufacturing process adhering to strict quality control measures and after-sales support whenever necessary.